Tree Town Doulas is very excited to introduce our newest addition to our services: Tree Town Childbirth classes. It actually isn’t a completely new service. We have been teaching private classes when requested since we first started. Several of our doulas have also been teaching group classes either on our own or for other people. We are simply refining and formalizing this service for everyone in the Ann Arbor area. Unless otherwise noted classes will be taught at The Center for the Childbearing Year, located at 722 Brooks Street in Ann Arbor. If you have any questions about our classes, please feel free to email Toni@TreeTownDoulas.com or call 734-730-2909.
- About our Classes
- Childbirth Classes
- Newborn Care Class
- Private Classes
- Community Partners (breastfeeding and parenting classes)
About our Classes
So, what can you expect from Tree Town Childbirth Classes? You can expect a teacher that is not only trained in childbirth education, but also a very experienced doula that has seen a wide range of birth. You can expect to learn things that are evidence based with an emphasis on making your own informed choices. Most of all you can expect fun! We have been working hard on varied activities that will never be boring. We will have you up and moving, practicing different techniques, and playing games. Although videos and PowerPoint are sometimes unavoidable, we will try our best to keep it interesting.
Our classes will focus on developing confidence in your natural capacity to give birth, making informed choices that are right for you, comfort measures for labor and how partners can help, and what to expect postpartum. Whether you choose our comprehensive 6 week class or our condensed weekend class, you will leave with the knowledge and tools that you need to have your best birth.
Our six week series does have a few advantages over our weekend course. There is more time to practice and learn as well as more time for fun activities which really do help you remember the material. We will try our best to review topics several times and you will have time to practice things at home and come back to class to talk about how it went. Perhaps the best reason to consider the 6 week series is that many people develop lifelong friendships in this class. There is a lot of power in connecting to peers that are going through the same thing as you. Although this isn’t something that we can guarantee, we have been excited to see that many of our students still plan play dates together years after the class has ended.
Register for Preparing for birth
Our condensed series is perfect for busy parents, people closer to their due date, people that want a refresher course for their second birth, or really anyone else that is interested in taking this class in one weekend. With 7 hours of instruction instead of 12 there is a little less time for games and review in this class. That doesn’t mean that you will be stuck listening to a lecture for 7 hours. Our innovative teaching techniques will still have you up and moving as you learn.
Register for Condensed Childbirth Prep
If the times or options listed above don’t work for you, please check out our private classes below.
Newborn Care Class
Our doulas have been teaching the newborn care class at the Center for the Childbearing Year for several years. In this class we will answer all of your questions about bringing home a newborn. We will talk about how to sooth a crying newborn, bathing, different diapering choices, babywearing, car seat safety, safe sleep, and much more. We will give you several different tools and techniques for each topic and discuss the wide range in normal when it comes to newborns. This class is ideal for expectant parents as well as adoptive and fostering parents.
Register for Newborn Care Basics
Group classes are not ideal for some people. Whether it is to accommodate a difficult schedule or just a need for a more private experience, Tree Town Doulas are happy to offer one-on-one classes. We can either hold these classes in your home or in the cozy office of Gentle Intuition Massage. Prices will vary depending on what exactly you are looking for. We are happy to give you a quote. Just contact us here. We can put together a custom package or you could choose from the list below:
- Private Childbirth Class
- We would talk about the same topics as our group classes. Please contact us to customize this plan for you.
- Newborn Care
- This class would last 3 hours in your home. In addition to the topics in our group class, we can also help you identify things that you may want to “baby proof” or find personalized solutions for your home.
- Grandparents Class
- Grandparents generally want what is best for our children. A lot of research has been done in recent years that lead us to parent a little differently than past generations. From the Back to Sleep campaign to the huge differences in car seat safety regulations, there is no question that parenting has changed.
- Babywearing Consultations
- Both Gillian and Toni have not only experience, but also extensive training, in safe babywearing. We are happy to come to your home and work with you to find a solution that works for you. Whether you have baby carriers that you don’t know how to use, or you are trying to decide what to buy, we can help. Consults generally last about 90 minutes.
- Herbal Consults
- Anna is our herbal expert. She has extensive knowledge of herbs and creating medicine from them. Whether you want to talk about herbs for fertility, pregnancy, or postpartum she can help.
- Infant Massage
- Everyone loves a good massage, including our newborns. Gillian, a licensed massage therapist will meet with you to teach you how to safely massage your own infant.
- Parenting Classes
- Catherine is our Hand in Hand Parenting expert. She offers a wide variety of private consultations on her website.
We are excited to introduce our wonderful community partners.
- The Center for the Childbearing Year has been a great support for us. The vast majority of our group classes will be taught at The Center.
- Barbara Robertson from the Breastfeeding Center of Ann Arbor has coordinated with us to offer her breastfeeding class for expectant parents on the same day as our Newborn Care Class. Although you are welcome to sign up for only one of these wonderful classes, many people have enjoyed the convenience of taking these two classes on the same day for many years. For more info go here.
- Our third community partner is Support for Growing Families. Owned by Tree Town Doula’s Catherine Fischer, Support for Growing Families offers classes that go beyond the newborn stage and throughout childhood. Her Hand in Hand parenting classes are ideal for all parents. For more info on Catherine’s classes go here.