As labor day weekend comes to an end, we plunge headfirst into the season of fresh notebooks, sharpened pencils, ripe apple picking, brisk nights, and cider mills. That first month back to school can be a doozy, especially for parents still in summer mode. Not only are we faced with developing a whole new routine from scratch, but now we’re also faced with a whole new set of challenges as our children grow into the next school year. Teachers often have their students set goals for the coming school year, so it’s only fitting that we do the same!
The word “mindfulness” is thrown around a lot with the images of spas, fancy art projects, and far-off lands. When really all “mindfulness” means is checking in with yourself. We recognize that most parents don’t have time to sit down, much less getting their nails done or get pampered at a spa. With this in mind, we’ve come up with a 3 minute exercise we’d like you to do. Obviously we’re not going to ask you to do homework because we know you’ll get enough of that with your little ones 😉
As the week goes on pick 2 of these prompts. Reflect on each of them for 1 minute and 30 seconds. Even set a timer if you need to! Focus on your thoughts and how you react to each prompt.
- What is your biggest win from the 7 days?
- What are 3 attitudes you want to embody this school year?
- What makes you feel calm?
- Have you felt stressed or anxious today? What did you do to overcome it?
- What realistic adjustment could you make to your daily routine to give yourself more energy?
- What have you recently said “yes” to that is not a “hell yes”?
- What does it feel like to go back to school after summer?
- Who is someone you have not talked to in a while that you’re grateful for?
- Is there an area of your life that needs to be more organized?
- What is something you’re anxious about for the coming school year? How can you reasonably prepare for this?
- What is one thing you need to let go of?
- What is your 3rd most unique strength? How can you make it as strong as your 1st and 2nd?
- What do you spend a silly amount of time on?
- When was the last time you laughed?
- What is important to you this school year?
- When do you have a hard time letting go? When do you feel so overwhelmed you “check out,” and what does that look like for you (e.g. checking social media too much, feeling irritable, etc..)?
- What is one long term goal you’re working towards?
- How have you shown yourself patience in the last week? How can you continue to do so?